In order to make sure the academy runs smoothly and we can focus on teaching safe and quality classes please read through and study the following student protocol and academy rules/regulations.
When a student enters the academy:
- Remove outside shoes and put on sandals/flip flops/slippers.
- Put outside shoes on shoe rack, and visit the sanitizing station by the office
- Enter changing rooms, get changed for class (we recommend younger students arrived changed for class) - We will be posting a “How to” video for belt tying, please make sure to study it!
- Make sure pants are pulled up and tied properly (lots of techniques grab pants, so you’ll wanna have them tied) and make sure all strings are tucked inside of the pants.
- Make sure to hang all coats on hooks in changing rooms, do not leave personal items on chairs.
- Wait until the instructor says you can enter the training area (if you arrive late for class and the doors are closed please wait inside the training area by the door until the instructor says you can come in)
Once you enter the training area:
- Use the restrooms if necessary
- Shake hands with your teammates, and introduce yourself to any new students (We are a team, remember that!)
- Warm up (If you’re unsure of what exactly to do we will have specific warm up videos in the technique section of our website) - you’re also free to drill techniques with other students, but no live training (sparring/rolling) before classes. Juniors students must ask permission to drill techniques before class.
- Ask any questions you may have to the instructor before class begins if possible, once class begins we like to focus on the class.
- If you have any questions about billing/accounts, purchasing gear, anything not related to techniques please email us first, and we can set up a time to chat. From the hours of 5-9pm there are back to back classes, so I’ll rarely have time to talk.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- YOUR FEET MUST ALWAYS BE COVERED IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE MATS. This means wearing sandals/flip flops, not socks. Socks don’t keep bacteria off of your feet, and can pass that bacteria into the training area
- No running around in the academy. (This includes the waiting area/changing rooms) Slips and falls Can hurt more than Armbars.
- No foul language, arguing, fighting.
- (JUNIORS) NO TOUCHING (Unless drilling techniques under supervision). This also includes in the waiting area and changing rooms. Respect everyone’s personal space.
- Students must be active inside the training area. Please no sitting/laying on the center of the mats, use the sides to stretch out if necessary. Last thing you want is someone falling over you!
- (JUNIORS) No talking during class. No calling out. If anyone has questions please raise your hand and ask when you’re called on. ADULTS if you have questions during technique please wait until the end to ask. There’s always a “what if”, but in order to get there you need to know the technique that leads to “what if” - rest assured, eventually we will cover ALL of the possible scenarios.
- Nobody can leave the room/class without permission - please be mindful of your training partners, if you leave they can’t drill until you’re back.
- During Randori (rolling/sparring) please sit/stand on the side if you’re not training, If you’re sitting down please keep legs in/folded/crossed.
- Any time an instructor is teaching, please no talking.
- When the class ends please make sure to clear the room as soon as possible. There may be another class starting and we don’t want to cut into their time. On occasion we will have time to train extra after classes end.